Wednesday, December 16, 2009

ChaNge the WoRLd

Two posts in one day? What could possibly cause such an unprecedented occurrence?

A short while ago, I received a call from Fade In. I won the horror genre. They said it should be posted on the Web site by the weekend. I don't think I've ever won anything for my writing ever. I was a little stunned that publisher and editor-in-chief of the magazine actually said that she'd like to see my screenplay as a film and that it was very good -- she seemed to imply that it was actually competent! I know! It's shocking! For one thing, it's my first one! Yeah, seriously ... I didn't really know what I was doing when I wrote it (I still don't, to be honest). I just knew the story I wanted to tell.

Anyway, winning just means a couple things. I'll get a few dollars in prize money. I'll be able to tag my screenplay as "award winning." And, it might help in my search for an agent or bring the screenplay to the attention of a producer. Just winning doesn't mean anything about it actually getting produced and turned into a film. However, it's a first step ... and, although the chances are extremely slight, it's one of the only ways a guy from Tampa could ever expect to get a Hollywood film made.

No comments:

Post a Comment